With 35 years of experience, Keith MacLaren practices primarily in the areas of commercial and construction law. Because of that experience, he has been successfully resolving the majority of disputes brought to him. Those disputes which do proceed to Court or arbitration are handled in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
Keith has developed valuable expertise in domestic and cross-border arbitrations. In recent years, Keith has encouraged litigants to refer their disputes to confidential binding arbitration, thereby saving his clients time and hard-earned money. Arbitration has proven to be an efficient, time-sensitive and cost-effective way to settle disputes.
Keith has participated in hundreds of trials, arbitrations and mediations, appearing at all levels of Court and before many different types of Tribunals involving, but not limited to:
- Commercial contract disputes, including cross-border contract litigation and arbitrationShareholder disputes
- Construction claims and disputes
- Professional negligence claims
- Real property disputes
- Claims for and against municipalities
- Major condominium disputes
- Claims for and against licensing bodies
- Secured property claims and disputes
- Defamation (libel and slander), including internet defamation
A review of the following decisions gives an idea of the depth of Keith’s expertise:
- Fennimore v. Skyservice (unreported jury award)
- Ottawa (City) v. Coliseum Inc., 2016 ONCA 363
- Gutowski v. Clayton et al, 2014 ONCA 921
- Piazza Family Trust v. Veillette et al, 2011 ONSC 2820
- Ewing et al v. Goth et al, 2010 ONSC 1098
- EDealer v. Canada Black Book et al
- KomTech Inc. (Re), 2011 ONSC 3230
- Miller Paving v. Kawartha Lakes, 2010 ONSC 2571; aff’d 2010 ONCA 801
- Called to the Bar in 1982
- LL.B., 1980 University of Ottawa Law School
- Harvard Negotiation Studies / Continuing Education Courses
- B.A. History/English, 1977, McMaster University
- Canadian Bar Association
- Carleton County Law Association
- Ottawa Construction Association
- McMaster University Alumnus
- Lecturer at:
- Carleton County Law Association Continuing Education
- Ottawa Credit Association
- Ottawa New Home Builders’ Association
- Ottawa Renovators Association
- Algonquin College (construction and contract law)
- "Construction Lien Act Amendments, Part 3 - Lien, Holdback, and Trust Rules", Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, July 3, 2018 (with Bryce Dillon)
- "Construction Lien Act Amendments, Part 2 - Interim Adjudication", Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, September 13, 2017 (with Bryce Dillon).
- "Construction Lien Act Amendments, Part 1 - Prompt Payment Rules", Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, September 13, 2017 (with Bryce Dillon).
- "Defamation on the Internet/The Anonymous Defamer", Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, November 2011.
- "Risk-Management In Today's Troubled Times", Ottawa Business Journal, October 2009.
- "Bankruptcy And Student Loans", Ottawa Business Journal, November 2007.